|Location||Bishoftu/Debreziet, Oromia, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||February 22, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The College of Health Sciences of Addis Ababa University is collaborating with the World Health Organization (WHO) in the multi-country trials to generate knowledge that will allow countries to hospitalize only young infants with possible serious bacterial infection (PSBI) who need hospitalization and treat the others on an outpatient basis and for those who need hospitalization but improve early, continue their treatment at home. To this effect, the College of Health Sciences seeks to hire a Study Site Coordinator for the PSBI Trials that will be conducted in five sites in Oromia and Amhara regions. The PSBI Trials project will work closely with the ministry of health and the Oromia and Amhara Regional Health Bureaus to implement the trials in selected sites.
The Study Site Coordinator will work closely with the Study Manager to ensure implementation of the study project activities at the designated study site level. The Study Site Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing and supervising the three teams working under her/him: 1) the screening and enrollment, 2) treatment compliance monitoring, and the 3) outcome assessment teams to make sure the study standard operating procedure (SOP) and protocols for the interventions are fully implemented and high-quality data are generated, The position will be given significant responsibility for the appropriate use of data collection tools, implementation of data quality assurance mechanisms and use of data to improve implementation performance at the study site level.
Specific roles and responsibilities include
- Manage the routine day-to-day operation logistics and administration aspects of the study project at study site;
- Work with the Study Manager to plan, implement and evaluate trainings of research and hospital staff;
- Plan, coordinate meetings, take notes, and routinely communicate the Study Manager and study site-based research assistants;
- Supervise and provide technical support to the study site-based research staff
- Ensure generation and use of high-quality data at study site levels
- Working closely with the Study Manager implement standard operating procedure (SOP) and protocols for the interventions and proper use of instruments and protocols for data collection;
- Create and nurture a smooth working relationship with the study site health facilities and communities
- Develop monthly performance report and submit them to the Study Manager
Duration of work: 1 year with possible extension
Tentative Start Date: Immediately
Number Required: One
- Medical Doctor and/or Master’s degree in public health or related field required with at least three years of experience with progressive responsibility as research coordinator
- Demonstrated experience managing staff and coordinating, planning, and implementation research project activities.
- Familiarity with the Ethiopian health system, Ethiopian Ministry of Health and Regional Health Bureaus preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in supervision of data collection, evaluation of programs/interventions, and data quality.
- Written and verbal fluency in English required. Written and spoken fluency in Afan Oromo and Amharic languages is desired. Strong writing skills and exceptional oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, supervisory, and organizational skills necessary.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple project activities, balance conflicting priorities, and handle confidential information appropriately.
- Must exhibit tact and diplomacy in inter-cultural settings.
- Prior field research and academic experience related to maternal and newborn health in Ethiopia is desirable.
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple tasks, and careful attention to detail.
- Prior experience working with electronic data collection and online databases, and demonstrated experience managing databases.