|Location||Dima, Gambela, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 9, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Livelihoods Team Leader ensures day-to-day management of the Livelihoods staff team in Dimma, facilitates the implementation of Livelihoods projects, and ensures communication between Livelihoods staff and communities/stakeholders/beneficiaries in field project locations. The Livelihoods Team Leader is responsible for project implementation, supported by a Livelihoods Specialist who will provide technical support to the TL and the team. A manager level position, this role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines relevant to Livelihoods and team management within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The Team Leader supports the Area Manager to monitor project implementation, budgets, and other project cycle management tools.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guide the day to day Livelihoods activities of the Livelihood team in Dimma
- Manage and facilitate Livelihoods projects, ensuring deliverables and milestones are achieved, and liaise with the budget holder to ensure project is on track in terms of timing, deliverables and budget
- Support the implementation of Livelihoods activities among refugee and host community, providing livelihood implementing experience
- Facilitate relations between DRC, the target communities and local authorities.
- Support the development of project documentation and reports
- Primary focal person for livelihoods interventions directed out of the DRC Dimma office.
- Facilitate proper identification of target communities/ refugees/ groups in and around refugee camps.
- Assist and empower the communities to enable them to manage self-reliance issues by themselves and be able to sustain livelihoods projects.
- Ensure equal participation by all segments of the community, taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age, disability and clan affiliation.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate the projects performance, provide timely inputs, feedback and impact of the DRC Livelihoods interventions in Dimma
- Play an important role in realization of WFP project outputs and outcomes through timely implementation of activities in a well-planned, organized and coordinated manner.
- Support the coordination activities with a focus on vulnerable refugees.
- Support market-led interventions and the development of private sector partnerships
- Ensure that DRC’s objectives are disseminated, and that policies and procedures are properly followed.
- Jointly with the Area Manager, be responsible for preparing and implementing of annual and quarterly work plans for livelihoods interventions.
- Organize and implement training for communities as per identified needs.
- Report monitoring details back to DRC management and assist with donor and other reporting.
- Regular monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to as per agreed format.
- Manage a team of livelihood officers and technical leads to effectively implement livelihood activities
- Monitor Livelihoods team performance and activity including conducting evaluations and staff assessments.
- Collate monthly reports from field team members and submit the reports to the Area Manager Coordinator timely.
- Facilitate regular team meetings ensuring that appropriate brainstorming, problem solving and project planning techniques are used.
- Manage team conflicts to ensure that problems are resolved constructively with direction from the Area Manager.
- Facilitate ongoing evaluation of the team’s effectiveness.
- Ensure that plans are entered into the standardized format and are updated on a monthly basis.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on issues related to relevant sector
- Represent DRC at relevant coordination meetings
- Ensure integration of sector activities with other DRC sectors
- Coordinate with sector counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects
- Ensure good representation and reputation of sector at all levels
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than April 19, 2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.