|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 8, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
GIZ - Internal and External Vacancy Announcement
GIZ- GPE Programme
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian Government and other international donors.
For the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ is implementing the global project "Green Peoples Energy for Africa" – GPE. The initiative is part of the "Marshall Plan with Africa" and supports the development of decentralized renewable energy systems in rural regions of Africa with the involvement of citizens, municipal structures, cooperatives and companies. The project aims to improve the conditions for decentralized energy supply in selected countries in Sub-Saharan Africa with the participation of citizens and businesses.
- Technical advisory on project identification and funding proposal development.
- Technical advisory on funds acquisition from national-, international-, public- and private sources.
- Follow-up on funds disbursement and technical advisory on financial reporting.
- Technical advisory of public-, private- and other stakeholders relevant for the component’s activities.
- Support of the component’s team members as well as external consultants and other service providers hired for the implementation.
- Supporting the monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management of all relevant activities within his/her component and cooperation with the overall energy portfolio’s M&E and knowledge management.
- General support of the planning and implementation of the Green People’s Energy Ethiopia project (hereinafter GPE).
Technical implementation processes
- Plans, prepares and implements project activities in support of funding proposal development and funds acquisition. These shall encompass, amongst others:
- Identify and assess potential decentralized renewable energy projects that require funding for implementation through investments, loans or grants.
- Develop together with the funding applicant project funding proposals in collaboration with other GBE staff members, that include, amongst others, financial and technical planning, implementation timelines and prospective outputs and pay-back/profit distribution plans.
- Advise on national-, international-, public- and private investment-, loan- and grant opportunities. This shall be done in collaboration with other GIZ projects such as the Get.Invest project in Germany.
- Once successful, follow-up on the disbursement of the funds and provide technical advice to the funded project regarding the required financial reporting.
- Provide any further technical advisory to public- and private sector actors where required and relevant for the above undertaking.
- Supports the planning, implementing and documenting of meetings, workshops, seminars and other capacity development measures in support of the above activities.
- Develops Terms of Reference for external trainers and consultants in support of the above activities.
- Cooperation and coordination processes:
- Consults routinely with – and reports to the component manager regarding all project activities.
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with federal, regional and local government agencies, research institutions, as well as private sector and other donors and their relevant initiatives where required.
- Undertakes duties in consultation and collaboration with his/her component manager, relevant other GIZ projects (such as EnDev) and partner institutions to ensure smooth communication and knowledge exchange.
- Technically supports and supervises external contractors and service providers and gives feedback on their performance.
- Establishes and entertains relevant networks between key stakeholders relevant for the above activities.
- Liaises GBE with relevant institutions (public, private, national, international, NGOs/CSOs) and represents GBE in meetings, workshops and conferences and other events in consultation with the component manager.
Monitoring, reporting and knowledge management
- Provides information and any other support needed by the Monitoring & Evaluation section, Knowledge Management section and PR & Communication sections.
- Updates information concerning the progress and results of his/her activities in any required on-line and off-line databases and data management systems in line with GIZ filing and ICT standards.
- Produce progress reports and participates in regular and ad-hoc internal meetings of the GBE component/project.
- Shares all information about activities, research findings and studies that are relevant for the project planning, implementation and monitoring of his/her component and other components of GBE.
- Contributes to the design and compilation of information material for external communication and knowledge management purposes.
- Familiarises with GIZ- and GBE Ethiopia-specific planning, implementation and reporting procedures and its updates.
- Represents the interests- and always acts on behalf of GIZ and GBE Ethiopia.
- Carries out tasks relevant to the component/project which may not be explicitly mentioned in the job description but lie in its nature.
- Participates in trainings related to his position and duties, as required and agreed on in the annual staff talks.
- Ensure the use of office and transport facilities in accordance with terms, conditions and any other agreements of usage.
Required qualifications, experiences and competences:
- Bachelor degree or higher in engineering, economics, business development, community development or a related field.
Professional experience and expertise:
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in investment promotion and business promotion.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of rural electrification issues, rural development and business promotion in relation with modern energy access.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding in investment promotion, business financing and funding proposal development.
- Work experience in technical and financial project management.
- Extensive work experience with the Ethiopian private sector, preferably in the renewable energy field.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to work in a team and with a minimum of instructions
- Experience in strategy- and concept development.
- Very good skills in compiling and presenting information in an appealing and concise manner.
- Very good oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Written and oral fluency in English.
- Being familiar with international development cooperation partners such as GIZ EnDev including their approaches and procedures is of advantage.
- Very good working knowledge of standard ICT applications of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and willingness to obtain proficiency in GIZ-specific applications (MS Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, IDA).
- Readiness to undertake business travels to remote rural areas on a regular base
Only short-listed applicants who are considered for the position will be contacted. Any inquiry should be directed to Info Mind Solutions (Ethiojobs).