|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 27, 2021|
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Technical Advisor, Solar Energy
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #107/2021
EnDev - IKEA
For smallholders, the lack of access to modern energy sources for productive use is a main limitation to development and improved livelihoods. Energy related costs often represent one of the highest agribusiness operating costs. Some renewable energy technologies have been developed already, however, very few can be called “accessible” to smallholder farmers to date due to high investment costs. A major reason for this situation is the lack of scalable, innovative business cases which ensure that already available PUE technologies and services reach smallholder farmers and local agribusiness enterprises. Energising Development (EnDev) is a global multi-donor partnership program implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) that facilitates market-based access to modern energy services in 20 countries worldwide.
In Ethiopia, EnDev cooperates closely with the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Energy (MoWIE) in providing access to modern energy services to Ethiopian households, social institutions and SMEs through market development for solar PV, mini-grid, hydro and energy efficient cook stoves. In line with its work on productive use of solar energy (PUE), EnDev Ethiopia will implement a project on sustainable energy for smallholder farmers. The focus will be on developing and implementing sustainable business cases for PUE in the horticulture and dairy value chain in Ethiopia, i.e. solar cooling, renewable energy hub, through capacity building, awareness-creation and piloting business cases. GIZ is looking for a Technical Advisor, Energy Solar to support in the implementation of its programme.
Contract duration: Until December 31, 2022 (with the possibility of extension)
Responsibilities & Tasks
To identify, implement and evaluate pilot activities of solar energy use in the horticulture sector in Ethiopia. This includes working with the horticulture farmers, the solar companies, financial institutions, business development providers and other relevant stakeholders. Tangible outcomes and quantifiable results are expected. Focus regions are to be defined in the first months after the start of this assignment.
The Technical Advisor, Solar Energy will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Identifying target groups and focus regions/districts
- Prioritizing energy needs of horticulture smallholders in relation to feasible technologies and services
- Exchange with solar companies on technologies, business cases and financing schemes
Business case development
- Identifying PUE technologies and services for sustainable business cases with highest impact on livelihoods.
- Set-up and facilitate demonstration sites for selected technologies together with local implementation partners, organize demonstration events with beneficiaries.
Implement pilot business cases for solar energy for smallholder horticulture farmers
- Coordinate trainings for smallholder farmers, entrepreneurs and cooperative structures to be able to operate and own PUE technologies and businesses.
- Accompany smallholder farmers in the process of implementing solar technologies and piloting the business cases.
- Coordinate the pilot for stimulating and promoting affordable cooling technologies for vendors and small holder farmers (imported/locally made)
- Plan, coordinate and steer the implementation of the awareness creation activities for the relevant solar for PU technologies.
- Develop relevant awareness materials and coordinate implementation of awareness activities.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
- Coordinating the involvement of relevant stakeholders in the off-grid and agricultural sectors.
- Supporting monitoring and evaluation efforts and documenting lessons learnt.
- Supporting knowledge exchange with projects in Kenya & Ethiopia, including exchange visits.
- Responsible for timely routine reporting for the project activities
- Ensure close collaboration with SNV during implementation
- Supervise and guide (external) consultants.
- Monitoring and verification of project activities
- Prepare and provide relevant updates to the wider project team
- Comply with procedures within GIZ, such as tenders, contracts with third parties, site visit.
- Carries out other tasks at the request of the superior.
- Master’s degree in energy, agriculture, business or related field.
Professional experience and competencies
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the implementation of solar energy and/or agricultural projects with a focus on market-based access to solar energy in smallholder agriculture.
- Very good understanding of solar for PU solutions for small holder farmers; experience with solar cooling technologies is an added advantage.
- Work experience in business development and capacity building is an added advantage.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Experience in networking and building and maintaining professional relationships with government, development partners, agricultural associations, cooperatives and input suppliers as well as solar companies.
- Good understanding of the institutional and policy framework in Ethiopia including the energy and agriculture landscape.
- Familiarity with planning, implementation and reporting procedures.
- Excellent technical/business report writing skills.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, internet and computer applications).
- Computer literacy with excellent knowledge of MS Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Teams) and optional experience in using energy software design tools.
- Very good knowledge of English communication and presentations skills, both spoken and written.
- Strong organizational and administrative competence.
- Highly motivated to work in a multicultural and inter-disciplinary team.
- Able to work independently and perform well under pressure (i.e. handling significant problems and tasks which come up simultaneously and/or unexpectedly and meeting deadlines)
- Innovative and creative thinking is an added advantage
- Ability to handle confidential information, using good judgement and discernment
- Willingness to travel to project sites across the country.
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: email@example.com
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Technical Advisor, Solar Energy #107/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”