|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 22, 2020|
|Category|| Engineering |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Technical Assistant II who will be working with Feed and Forage Development Program (FFD) at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
Job Purpose: The purpose of this position is to provide a day-to-day support to staff working in these laboratories and to making sure that the laboratories are kept tidy at all times.
- Provides general laboratory services supports (e.g., running and cleaning equipment such as distiller, autoclave, freezer, etc; storage of samples, monitoring use of equipment, etc) to staff working in feed and forage laboratories
- Ensure laboratory areas are always kept clean and tidy
- Assists in the calibration and in the preparation of instruction sheets for equipment
- Assist in organizing laboratory and greenhouse facilities and equipment maintenance
- Assists in compiling information for the procurement of laboratory equipment and supplies
- Ensure safe handling and storage of laboratory supplies
- Assist in ensuring proper use of personal protective equipment Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in the laboratories
- Work with the supply chain unit (e.g., store) to assist delivering supplies and new equipment to the lab
- Assist with routine laboratory and greenhouse activities as agreed with supervisor and/or gene bank manager.
- Provide office assistance to program team
Minimum Requirements: Education
- High school certificate
- One year relevant experience
- Good understanding of laboratory techniques/facilities
- High level of cleanliness and ability to carefully follow standard operating procedures
- Understanding of the use of PPE needed for laboratory work
- Effective communication in English, both written and oral
- Knowledge in specific field and use of simple tools and equipment
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: HG 8
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 7,500 (Negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate's professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: TA/31/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.