|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 10, 2020|
|Category|| Other |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager, the M&E Coordinator will support the M&E Manager in surveillance and information management, monitoring programmatic IRS delivery, and evaluating associated epidemiological, entomological, and environmental impact in targeted districts.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- Support the M&E Manager to systematically collect, analyze and present program data
- Prepare monitoring plans and defines program indicators
- Prepare and ensure timely submission of activity progress reports
- Assist in developing and defining program indicators and sources of data
- Support the M&E Manager to support routine VectorLink M&E systems that track IRS program activities, progress, and performance
- Provide field supervision and instructive feedback during the IRS campaign, especially with regard to M&E system implementation (i.e. data collection and verification procedures)
- In close collaboration with the M&E manager support, prepare M&E guidelines /standards/protocols and tools
- Mentor responsible staff members on data use for decision-making, data quality assurance, and database management
- Provide training for project staff and other stakeholders on various VectorLink M&E concepts and database use
- Ensure appropriate skills are developed and maintained with the national and district IRS staff through focused trainings for continued maintenance of the established M&E tracking systems. This includes training temporary field VectorLink staff on appropriate methods of data collection, entry, reporting, and quality
- Contribute to annual work plans, quarterly and annual reports and other project documents
- Supports the needs assessments and baseline surveys/data collection process prior to IRS campaigns
- May support periodic internal Post Spray Data Quality Assessments (PSDQAs) and assist in preparing the project for possible external DQAs Audits to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timeliness of all performance data, identifying gaps and suggesting corrective actions on time
- Support routine entomological data collection and analyses
- Provide database support as needed
Preferred Qualification s
- Masters Degree in a relevant health sector field, such as Environmental Health, Public Health, Community Health, Health Information Systems, Statistics or Health Economics and related displines
- Experience with configuration and maintenance of databases and data analytics desirable
- At least 5 years relevant experience in program monitoring and evaluation, with previous IRS or other malaria program experience desirable
- Experience in MS Access, GIS applications, GPS measurement data collection, the DHIS2 platform, and/or Tableau desirable
- Experience with mobile platforms (ODK, CommCare, KoboCollect, EpiInfo, Fulcrum, etc.), mobile data collection, and/or GIS satellite imagery are highly desirable
- Experience and familiarity with USAID program monitoring and evaluation, and performance monitoring
- Strong analytic and quantitative database management, budgeting and report writing skills
- Prior experience training data collectors or enumerators desirable
- English language fluency
- Bachelor's degree and 4+ years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.