|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 9, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
Results for Development (R4D) through its Market Shaping work contributes to global and country level efforts towards improving continuous availability of affordable and high-quality essential health and nutrition commodities in the public health system. We particularly leverage market shaping practices both at global and country levels by identifying critical market inefficiencies and working closely with key actors to develop and execute market solutions across the supply, demand, financing and regulatory aspects of the market at scale.
In Ethiopia, specifically R4D has been supporting the Ethiopia Pharmaceutical and Supply Agency (EPSA) in shaping the market to catalyse increased access to and appropriate use of child health commodities such as amoxicillin dispersible tablets, and most recently expanded its support to address system level market shaping capacity building needs.
In 2018, EPSA established a Quantification and Market Shaping Directorate (QMSD) to own, design and deliver market shaping interventions which is an important milestone towards self-reliant and sustainable market shaping investment in the public health system. Responsive and strong organizational design is important to properly drive organizational and technical effectiveness of this new directorate towards sustainably scoping market shortcomings and designing appropriate solutions.
A consultant is therefore needed to support EPSA leadership in the design of an organizational blueprint for QMSD that define its market shaping mandate, role and structure including its relationship and coordination mechanism with other directorates within EPSA and other government entities. This support will be informed with the findings from the ongoing comprehensive market shortcomings assessment and will be provided concurrently with capacity building support to QMSD staff. Interested consultants who believe they are qualified for both consultancies are encouraged to apply for both.
The overall objective of this consultancy service is to provide technical assistance support throughout the entire design process of organizational blueprint for QMSD so as to ensure it is well set up to play a lead “market manager” role.
III. Scope of Work
The consultant will be expected to undertake the following key activities.
a) In close collaboration with R4D market shaping team in Ethiopia and EPSA / QMSD leadership determine QMSD organizational goals and objectives (short and long term).
b) Outline and analyze the pros and cons of potential optimized QMSD structure options
c) In close collaboration with EPSA and QMSD leadership outline mandate and role appropriate for each level to the final optimized QMSD structure including accountability mechanism that define relationship between each sub team.
d) In close collaboration with QMSD / EPSA leadership map and optimize role and operating relationships between the optimized QMSD structure and other GoE entities
e) If needed, provide support for the implementation and change management for the new structure and processes
f) (budget and interest/bandwidth permitting) Other activities jointly identified by the consultant and the R4D team as valuable to fulfill the overall objectives of the project
IV. Reporting Line
The consultant will report directly to a member of the MSCIP senior project leadership (Country Director, Ethiopia office, or Program Director, Market Shaping Practice), and liaise directly with other members of the project team in Addis when relevant.
V. Type and Duration of Contract
Part-time consultancy work during the period between October 1, 2020 to March 31st, 2021, with possibility of extension.
VI. Duty station
Work is anticipated to be performed remotely from the home location of the consultant, with essential travel for meetings in Addis Ababa at stages where intensive face to face discussion with EPSA and QMSD leadership is critically needed, and based on a joint assessment of the COVID-19 situation. Please note, as an organization R4D is taking a conservative approach to consultant and staff travel and is likely to be significantly more cautious than is required by any local or international rules.
Expected qualifications of consultant
- MA in organizational design, business administration, supply chain / pharmaceuticals, public health, health systems management, or other degree relevant to the consultancy
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in optimizing organizational structure
- Demonstrated experience in institutional architecture assessment and / or organizational structure design or redesign, preferably including experience in the context of public health
- Proven experience supporting government institutions in low and middle-income countries, preferably related to health systems strengthening and/or pharmaceuticals supply chain system
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills as well as the ability to skilfully communicate, both verbally and in writing, with a variety of stakeholders including government officials, implementing partners, and donors
- Highly collaborative team player, and possess keen analytical and problem-solving skills with experience independently driving analysis
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in cultivating and managing relationships across public and private sector actors within and across countries
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Fluency in English language required
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, depending on the COVID-19 related global and local restrictions.
Interested consultants who fulfil the above qualifications are encouraged to submit an up to date CV along with application letter that clearly describes your fit for the role and how you fulfil the objectives of this consultancy work, through this link