|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||December 20, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Who Are We?
- Draft analytical documents on current transportation policy issues; the topics will vary over time according to the needs of the sub-sector, but, in particular, there will be a strong emphasis on developing transport cost indexes, freight management strategies, and policy briefs for sustainable multimodal transport. The work should lead to the formulation of policy recommendations or guidelines and form the basis for future research efforts underpinned by sound economic theory and empirical analysis.
- Prepare monthly alerts for the transport price index (TCI), for instance, charts the price-per-km cost for Ethiopia’s haulage and courier vehicles each month/quarterly, uses data from different aggregated sources & anonymized transactions to provide valuable insights to policymakers and industry operators alike, tracks changes & highlights market trends, graphically depicts the Consumer Price Index (CPI) of transportation to serve as a performance measure applicable to use cases ranging from prioritization, scenario evaluation and comparison to benchmarking and standards, etc.
- Establish and maintain contact with senior officials and the private sector to lead discussions on topics of their interest; Represent the company of transport at conferences, or workshops.
- Develop contacts and collaboration with the staff of other directorates as well as their affiliate and businesses; as needed, represent the GL at outside meetings.
- Determine the economic and financial feasibility of transport and logistics projects and operations. Compute modal costs and market structures for maritime, rail, air, and landline economies in order to inform modal choice.
- Participate in the sector and thematic networks around the transport and logistics sector and related issues to keep abreast of the latest developments and issues.
- Contribute to the company’s knowledge-producing activities based on own desk work, outputs of GL projects, and lessons learned from ongoing operations.
- Undertake or contribute to other tasks in relation to Garri Logistics Transport’s operations, facilitation and economic activities and/or horizontal work of the company.
- Provide expertise and knowledge to implement joint activities with freight companies and the government to improve Ethiopia’s trade logistics performance. Undertake any other tasks assigned by the CEO.
- Shares knowledge products on new best practice trends in comparator freight situations on a regular basis; dissemination of industry-related information suitable for scenario evaluation/comparison substantiated in freight industry data.
- Convinces others to adopt international/regional/national best practices by explaining the situational relevance and benefits of e-freight market features, such as post-loads/trucks, registration, tracking system, trip calculator, request assistance, TCI, warehouse/logistics management systems (WMS), warehousing costs, inventory carrying costs, transport services, etc.
- Based on widely available data sources, possible for all uses and chain actors, esp. benchmarking and scenario evaluation/comparison suitable for prioritization and benchmarking applications of indexes;
- Test/apply TCI usage in public engagement and policy-making process;
- Verify patterns of transportation costs with information from alternative data sources, such as CSA, FTA, WDI, GL own database, etc.
- Increased data collection and analysis e.g., rates, import numbers, fuels, haul ratio, road transport carbon footprint, road traffic, vetted truck operators, truck turn-around times, trucking market competition, commission payment, freight volumes, etc.
- Support with electronic freight solutions and industry-wide initiatives.
- Produce reports on logistics costs by function or mode that are easy to interpret/understand.
- Achieve appealing business proposals and concept notes and effective communication with focal business points and the Garri Logistics team.
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt.
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing.
- Performs other duties assigned by General Manager.
The junior transport economist will report to the CEO.
We offer competitive salary and benefits, and amazing opportunities to grow with us
What's In It for You?
If you are looking for a place to support and influence the direction of a fast-moving company while supporting our excellent customers and partners with an innovative logistics product and service, then this is a good fit. We are actively interviewing and looking to onboard quickly.