|Location||Gondar, Amhara, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 20, 2021|
|Category|| Engineering |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Position Title||WASH and Shelter Assistant|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||17.11.2021- 01.12.2021|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Emergency and Post Crisis (EPC) Unit in the IOM Office in Ethiopia responds to humanitarian needs throughout the country. After the onset of conflict in Tigray region of Ethiopia in November 2020 the team extended its operations to respond to this crisis, based out of Mekelle and Shire. IOM’s activities aim to target the most vulnerable IDPs and also to support the recovery of critical infrastructure
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Prepare BOQs and assist in monitoring construction of sanitation and water facilities and emergency shelter and rehabilitation of shelters, both in IDP sites and for institutions, according to IOM SOPs for the same.
2. Oversee hygiene promotion activities including organization of campaigns and events
3. Support with shelter repair activities including provision of training to local carpenters and distribution of shelter repair kits.
4. Organise distributions of NFIs including beneficiary registration and post-distribution monitoring
5. Liaise with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, including participating in WASH and Shelter clusters when needed
6. Assist in coordinating and monitoring work of WASH and Shelter clerks
7. Carry out monitoring and evaluation functions of all project activities
8. Prepare periodic information management reports for project/programmes in coordination with subunit heads and project focal.
9. Prepare project tracking updates for managers as needed.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in engineering or another related technical field
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience working with NGOs or UN agencies in humanitarian or development response
- Experience of conducting borehole repair and hand pump repair
- Experience in developing BOQs for permanent latrines and shelter solutions
- Experience in managing hygiene promotion activities
- Experience in managing large scale distributions
- Fluency in English and Amharic is required.
- knowledge of other local languages, is an advantage
Values and Competencies
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English through ethiojobs.net, on or before December 1, 2021, no photocopies of educational/training certificates are required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!