|Ataye, Amhara, Ethiopia
|November 17, 2021
About Swiss Church Aid/HEKS-EPER
Swiss Church Aid/HEKS is the aid organization of the Protestant Churches of Switzerland and has its headquarters in Zurich/Switzerland. Swiss Church Aid/ HEKS works towards a more humane and more equitable world, assisting people and communities to overcome economic, social or humanitarian disparities in order to gain autonomy and to live with dignity both in Switzerland and abroad. Therefore, Swiss Church Aid/ HEKS engage in development cooperation, humanitarian aid and church cooperation and works in more than 30 countries and runs around 200 projects world-wide. Swiss Church Aid/ HEKS is a member of the ACT Alliance.
In Ethiopia, Swiss Church Aid/ HEKS has country programmes with focus on Natural Resource Management, WASH, Inclusive Markets for Smallholder Pastoralists & Farmers and Humanitarian Assistance for drought and conflict affected communities. The Ethiopia Country Office is recruiting a WASH Officer for its project in Efratana Gidem Woreda of North Shewa Zone, Amhara Region.
The WASH Officer will be stationed/positioned in Ataye Town of Efratana Gidem Woreda and will be responsible for the implementation of the “Emergency WASH Response to conflict affected IDPs and Host Communities” in Efratana Gidem Woreda of North Shewa Zone, Amhara Region.
The project aims at addressing the urgent public health risks of the households/people affected by the inter-communal conflict through provision of life saving water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion services.
The position holder will be responsible mainly for the management and supervision of the emergency WASH project including planning, implementation, coordination, monitoring and reporting project activities. He/she also establishes and maintains relationships with community, local government and kebelle leaders to identify priority needs, target beneficiaries, and joint monitoring of the project outputs.
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Responsible for the implementation of the Emergency WASH project in Efratana Gidem woreda
- Develop detailed work plan and implement the project as specified in the work plan,
- Carry out detail design of water supply and sanitation schemes and associated structures.
- Identify design alternatives, ensure designs are to the standard and make sure compliance with national and humanitarian standards
- Prepare/revise BOQs, technical specifications and drawings, review tenders and payment certificates as deemed necessary
- Support the implementation of Sanitation and Hygiene promotion sessions and any other hygiene and sanitation based activities
- Work with and provide timely technical support to the SCA/HEKS co-implementing partners, Maintain respectful and constructive relations with field project team
- Keep track of and monitor and follow up the progress of construction/rehabilitation activities promptly identifying any current or potential challenges
- Write technical reports, report regularly to the Head Office WASH coordinator and program manager on the project progresses and other relevant issues on monthly and /or weekly basis as required.
- Establish and maintain transparent, functional working relationships with local government at woreda level and with the communities and NGOs operating in the project area.
The position holder is managed by the WASH Coordinator and is responsible for any other duties as assigned by the line-manager
Required No: 1
Duration: Six (6) month fixed term contract
Education, Qualifications & other knowledge
- Education: BSc Degree in water supply and environmental engineering, Water Resources engineering, Hydraulic Engineering or related fields.
- Work Experience: At least 4 years of relevant experience preferably in an NGO setting
- Language Skills: Good verbal and written command of English, and Amharic is required
- Computer literacy: Literacy of technical software (AUTOCAD, WATERCAD, etc.)
Desirable Qualities, Skill and Competence
- Demonstrated experience in implementing emergency WASH projects
- Ability to understand financial requirements of project and to manage activities in line with project budget
- Accountability and responsiveness within areas of responsibilities,
- Ability to generate timely and quality reports
- Gender sensitive and experience with inclusive approach (work with people with disabilities, extreme poor families, minorities and other marginalized groups
- Ability to understand the cultural context of the rural community and use that culture as an input for community mobilization
- Good communication and coordination skill, preferably with the community and woreda line departments government
- Commitments to Swiss Church Aid/HEKS’ organizational values
- Passionate, strongly dedicated and highly committed to work for the improvement of the poor community
Interested and qualified candidates can apply by sending letter of application and updated CV through Sosina.Seyoum@heks-eper.org
Mention the location and position you are applying for on the subject of your email and your application letter. Your application will not be reviewed if you fail to do so.
Only short-listed applications will be contacted. No phone calls are allowed!
Qualified Female applicants are encouraged to apply
Note: Use " WASH Officer " as the subject line of your email !