|Location||Metekel, Benishangul Gumuz, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 27, 2020|
|Category|| Engineering |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia the WASH Technical Assistant is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The WASH Technical Assistant will be based in Benishangul Gumuz implementation sites (and will work under the supervision of the WASH/Shelter Technical Officer, according to and as reflected in objectives stated in project description and budgets to donors and in line with NRC policy programme, as well as with Plan of Action and strategy in place in the region.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines;
- Implement delegated WASH activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans;
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for implementation of shelter technical activities;
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need and explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Support WASH project implementation through field deployment to directly undertake distributions, hygiene awareness raising and construction works.
- Support logistical needs of the WASH program staff, including communication, transportation and distribution.
- Support in monitoring laborers at field sites and track material receipt, storage and delivery at sites.
- Assist in coordinating all visibility material required by the donors and NRC are procured and sent to the field. Also liaise with field staff to make sure these materials are being used properly.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities
- Assist in planning and carrying out technical needs assessments, baseline and end line survey and feedback findings for internal and external use
- Support in preparation of BoQ, Technical Specifications and Drawings for WASH facilities as deemed necessary.
- Conduct WASH activities in IDP/Returnees settlements under the guidance of the WASH Technical Officer and coordinating and supervising casual workers;
- Carry out technical training sessions (according to identified needs) for community members;
- Raise the awareness on issues relevant to the community and encourage their participation in projects;
- Ensure mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues (i.e. gender and environment protection) in implementation of activities;
- Train the IDP/returnee community on WASH facility management maintenance and protection issues.
- Implement WASH activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct and humanitarian principles
- Ensure that standards (Sphere and National Standards) and specifications for activities are adhered to and give recommendations to the management as necessary
- Personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency and flexibility
- Coordinate with the entire WASH teas to ensure that all the aspects of the response (engineering and soft components) are integrated.
- Execute other activities as assigned by line manager.
Generic professional competencies:
- University Degree in Water /Civil Environmental/ Hydraulic Engineering
- Minimum of two years’ work experience working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Knowledge of the operating context in Benishangul Gumuz and neighboring Amhara and Oromia regions
- Experience in undertaking training of staff or target groups
- Proven experience in record keeping, reporting and project implementation,
- Ability to coordinate project activities with input from colleagues and external partners for the achievement of results,
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports,
- Ability to build relations with local government authorities, civil society, beneficiaries and other stakeholders,
- Ability to work independently according to established structures and guidelines, including administrative requirements, and maintain coordination with colleagues and supervisor
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential.
- Ccomputer literacy of technical software (i.e. AUTOCAD, GIS, EPANET) is an asset
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Working experience in WASH constructions, development and planning in humanitarian projects or comparable field,
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in local Languages is highly desirable
Behavioral & Personal Competencies:
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Managing performance
All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send in their application letters including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees only through www.ethiojobs.net OR www.webcruiter.no (If it is possible, attach photocopies of the most relevant educational certificates/testimonials). Applications should reach NRC latest by May 11, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
“Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and on-the-job training will be provided!”