|Location||Jigjiga, Somali, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 24, 2020|
|Category|| Economics |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Project name: Block 2020 Project
Reporting to: Head, DRM Division
Required number: one
Contract: one year
Purpose of the position
To support the Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) in its response for Internally Displaced Persons in Somali Region focused on ensuring access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene services.
Background of ERCS and the project
Ethiopian Red Cross Society is a humanitarian organization working in partnership with the Ethiopian government as an auxiliary to the government since 8th July 1935, with partners the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Society (IFRC), ICRC and other National Societies. Its vision is to be a strong, self-reliant and the most efficient humanitarian organization in Ethiopia in reaching the most vulnerable. Our mission is to prevent and alleviate human suffering and to contribute to the wellbeing of mankind and prevalence of peace. It works on six core programs including Disaster preparedness response and disaster risk reduction (DPR /DRR), Resource Mobilization, Volunteers & Members management and Engagement, Image Building and Humanitarian Diplomacy, Capacity Building and Promotion of the Culture of Peace and Non-Violence. Following the recurrent drought, Increased chronic food insecurity and increased natural and manmade disasters ERCS is regularly trying to strengthen its capacity to address the above issues and increase its DRR information gatherings, disaster response capacity and early warning systems.
ERCS is conducting a 2-year WASH project in Somali Region with support from Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) as part of a long term partnership program with NLRC. The project will focus on improving hygiene and sanitation practices among IDPs and host communities as well facilitate access to safe drinking water for 30,000 IDPs and 12,000 persons from host communities. Planned project activities include planning, drilling and installment of a solarized borehole, rehabilitation of water and sanitation infrastructure including hand washing stations at schools and health facilities, roll-out of hygiene promotion campaign, overseeing emergency distributions and activities that strengthen the capacity of the local branch staff of ERCS.
- Supports and monitors the overall implementation of the Project in the implementing districts and kebele
- Ensure that the project is implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to project objectives and indicators and in line with donor requirements and adhere to national and regional standards
- Coordinate, organize and facilitate project related meetings, workshops and trainings
- Oversee the project budget and expenditures of the project, and coordinate with branch Finance officer
- Support needs assessment, baseline surveys, beneficiary satisfaction survey, review meetings and endline evaluation
- support capacity building training on Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST) in emergency setting and Community Based Health and First Aid (CBHFA), WASH Committee, Community Conversation, safer access, Protection, Gender and Inclusion for selected volunteers
- Ensure community engagement and accountability throughout all project phases at grass root level
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders -including government representatives and other networks and humanitarian organizations relevant to the project
- Attend WASH cluster and COVID-19 taskforce meetings at Regional level and ensure that information is shared internally and with ERCS partners
- Assist the procurement of the project items at branch level in consultation with relevant concerned bodies
- Follow up the quality and timing of distribution items procured by the project and ensure that the distribution is for the targeted Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and host communities
- Ensure feedback mechanism is implemented during distributions to document concerns and complaints during field activities.
- Provide case stories of benefited IDP/Host community and share to the immediate supervisor
- Providing valuable inputs in progress reports, operational update report and Final project Operational report
- Document the lessons learnt through the implementation of the project and responsible to share both internally and externally
- Support new proposal development where applicable
- Work closely with branch team that are implementing NLRC supported projects
- Undertake any other tasks as required by line management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
- BSc. degree in the field of Management, Economics, Sociology, Environmental Health, Public Health, water resource engineering , Civil Engineering or Rural development
- At least Three years of experiences in the WASH sector; of which one year in NGO setting related to rural water supply
- Relevant skill in computer application (MS Offices and outlook).
- Experiences in planning and managing community and institutional infrastructure and WASH interventions in development and emergency contexts
- Experience working on gender sensitive and disability inclusive projects
- Experience with working in the Red Cross Red Crescent movement is a plus
Personal Values and competency
- Capacity to work & build strong relationships with Partners, local government offices;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to communicate in English and Amharic, and Af-Somali
- Commitment to Red Cross values and the people we serve
- Ability and willingness to work in harsh and difficult conditions in an area of potential insecurity
- Ability to work well within a team and take responsibility to deliver results.
We invite candidates meeting the required qualifications to fill out the employment application form from the official website of the Ethiopian Red Cross in vacancy menu http://www.redcrosseth.org/get-involved/vacancy and email to email@example.com before the closing date of this announcement on August 26, 2020. Or submit a non-returnable copy of all their credentials, recommendation letters, Proof of experience, an updated CV and cover later by not later than 26th of August 2020 to the Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS), Somali branch, PO. Box:-65, Jigjiga, Ethiopia. Or can submit in person at the ERCS Office Jigjiga.
Note: The application letter should include salary expectation and when will you be available. Only those who are short listed will be contacted. Please note that we ONLY consider those who filled in the application form and send us back. We regret to inform that we do not accept CV at this stage