|Location||Metekel, Benishangul Gumuz, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||February 22, 2021|
|Category|| Engineering |
Health Care / Medical
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Reporting to: WASH Coordinator
Duty station: Metekel and with frequent travel to neighbouring Amhara and Oromia regions.
Duration and type of contract: 8 months (January 1 to October 31)
WASH Hygiene Promotion Project Assistant is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The WASH HP Project Assistant will work under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, according to and as reflected in objectives stated in project description and budgets to donors and in line with NRC policy programme, as well as with Plan of Action and strategy in place in the region.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines;
- Implement delegated WASH HP activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans;
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for the promotion of safer hygiene behaviors and distribution of WASH supplies;
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need and explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Monitor and report on the WASH HP activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards;
- Report all protection-related concerns in the field;
- Carry out data collection as required;
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Mobilize beneficiary communities implementing HP through participatory approaches;
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities;
- Conduct field-based needs assessments.
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities in IDP settlements and schools under the guidance of the WASH Officer and coordinating and supervising community Hygiene Promoters;
- Supervise appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services;
- Carry out training sessions (according to identified needs) for community members;
- Identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene; participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring;
- Raise the awareness on issues relevant to the community and encourage their participation in projects;
- Ensure mainstreaming of all cross-cutting issues in implementation of activities;
- Train the IDP/returnee community on settlement care (with focus on public health related aspects), maintenance and protection issues.
Generic professional competencies:
- Degree in Public Health, Community Health, community development or Social studies.
- Minimum of two years’ work experience working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context preferably in NGO.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience in implementation of software components of WASH activities
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in Amharic and English, both written and verbal. Knowledge of local language is highly advantageous.
Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the operating context in Benishangul Gumuz Region, Western Oromia and South western Amhara regions.
- Experience in undertaking training of staff or target groups
- Experience in Hygiene promotion or community mobilization
- Ability to use MS Office software is desirable