WARNING: Do not to pay any money to get a job. Please report fraudulent jobs to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Date Posted||July 30, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role: (1-2 sentences)
Under the direct supervision of the WASH Manager, the WASH Specialist Engineer will be in charge of all technical activities related to construction WASH infrastructure and will ensure the efficient and smooth implementation of the WASH projects in the targeted area.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare plans, specifications and cost estimates of the prioritized construction works;
- Make sure that all required preparations are in place for technical estimates, design and resource management plan, prepare bid documents and support the project team for the bid selection;
- Implement effectively and within time and budget of the WASH project as per the project proposals and project requirements.;
- Develop and review project designs to ensure compliance with relevant standards, procedures, and codes;
- Develop and review BOQs and technical specifications;
- Ensure that accurate and detailed records of project matters are formulated and kept;
- Conduct site assessments and surveys;
- Ensure as far as possible the security of the project, of staff, and of equipment;
- Coordinate with beneficiary leaders to ensure community participation and ownership;
- Advise on procurement needs and submit all procurement request to the Somali Region WASH Manager;
- Provide on-site technical assistance to staffs, contractors or service providers and beneficiaries during the process of implementation, including management of construction activities;
- Prepare and submit regular progress reports and work plans to the WASH Manager;
- Collate data from the communities and local partners and prepare reports for submission to WASH Manager;
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector. This includes taking concerns regularly at every meeting with beneficiaries in the field and report as needed;
- Keep proper records of field expenditures when appropriate and report on these to the WASH Manager;
- Carry out other related tasks as directed by the line management;
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of three years of experience in coordination and supervision of WASH construction projects
- Strong knowledge and experience in engineering and construction project with related processes like tendering of works, monitoring of construction sites etc.
- Knowledge and experience in GIS/GPS
- Previous work experience in refugee/IDP settings and complex emergencies is an asset.
- Familiarity with the SPHERE Project and Minimum Standards
- Leadership and supervisory skills and ability to foster team spirit
- Strong organizational skills and able to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and mediation skills and ability to work independently
- Report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets. Skills in technical drawings software (preferably AutoCAD) and project management software are desirable.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of security management and willingness to follow security guidelines and regulations
- Commitment to ensuring the protection of IDPs
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Commitment to concern equal opportunity and gender practices
A University degree in Civil, hydraulic, water resource or environmental engineering or directly related field
Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English.
Somali (Overall fluency required)
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than August 10, 2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
“Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply”