|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 19, 2020|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Contract |
The successful Youth programme officer Provides strategic leadership and coordination of ActionAid Ethiopia’s youth and governance work by managing policy work and research, building evidence from grass root communities, reaching out to relevant social movements, engaging media, connecting to relevant actors particularly civil society organizations, and guiding on policy and advocacy work on youth programmes. You will be the overall focal point and responsible person for a successful completion of youth and governance related projects and initiatives including providing technical assistance to all partners and consortium members as per the scope of work of the program. Will also ensure that AAE messages / positions and learning from our practices are heard externally through all forms of media and in key policy spaces. Will ensure appropriate youth, policy advocacy and relevant partnerships are built, maintained and coordinated across the country program with particular emphasis at Woreda, regional, national level
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute a country level youth engagement strategy
- Identifying key external actors and opportunities at local, regional and national levels (allies and targets) with whom the country program needs to engage and ensuring that our strategies and programmes are informed by a strong understanding of the external environment and where shifts in power are most needed and most achievable.
- Focusing on developing clear policy positions as needed and linking local, regional and national level youth engagement, sharing and learning externally and working with key allies and social movements to advance the CPs agenda on its policy advocacy works
- Link up with the core youth, Governance and Advocacy team across the CP,
- Leads the design and implementation of National and cross-country policy and advocacy engagements and research on behalf of AAE.
- Ensure appropriate and effective representation of ActionAid Ethiopia in key National policy spaces and in relevant media debates (print, radio, TV and social media) – directly representing the CP with the Country Director and Head of Program in some cases and opening space for participation from across the Country and our partners as necessary.
- Write articles, briefs and op-eds – and edits articles by others to ensure consistency of our key policy advocacy messages and positions in coordination with communication coordination
- Manage projects with youth and governance components in general. Projects will be assigned as relevant.
- BA or master’s degree BA Degree in Social Work, Law, Social Studies, Development and youth related fields of study.
Experience and Competencies
- A minimum of 4 years of demonstratable substantive experience in youth programmes, governance, advocacy and policy role.
- Comprehensive understanding of rights-based approaches and women’s rights programming and providing technical assistance to partners and consortium members.
- Previous experience of managing Danida, NORAD, SIDA, EU funded projects and programmes
- Strategic thinker and innovator, able to spot trends and opportunities before others and translate these into practical interventions
- Excellent advocacy, partnerships, consortium management and networking skills and connections at local and regional and national level
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, and Amharic and ability to persuade and motivate through communication.
- A person who champions young people’s agenda particularly young women and girls an ability to conduct action research on economic and social issues
Reports to: Head of Programme
Duty base: Addis Ababa, with frequent travel to fields
Duration: Two years with possibility of extension based on performance and budget
Qualified and Interested applicants should submit cover letter addressing how you meet each of the essential criteria for the positions you apply, along with recent CV no later than August 31,2020 to ActionAid Ethiopia P.O. Box 1261Addis Ababa or email to hrod.[email protected]g. Please mention the Title of Position you apply for in the subject of your email.
“ActionAid will be conducting safeguarding reference checks on the successful candidate” Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.